Friday, August 3, 2012

Attack of the Fringe

Well, the Fringe is on, and it is everywhere! I can't even walk across my school's campus without accruing a dozen fliers about "the must-see" show of the festival. No, let me re-word that: I especially can't walk across campus. The whole place has been transformed and taken over.

For those of you who don't know, the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is the largest arts festival in the world and the jewel of the Edinburgh festival season, a month-long smörgåsbord* of music, theater, musical theater, comedy, dance, art, literature, etc. To give you a little context, the population of Edinburgh is usually around 420,000. During festival season, it goes up to about 1,000,000 because of all the tourists who flock to the city. So it's kind of a big deal. There are thousands of events, put on by performers from all over the world. Whatever you want, you can't find it. You like one-woman improvised comedy shows? You got it! You like Thai lady boys? They've got that too!


Basically, they have everything here, and I hope to take advantage of as much of it as I can. Particularly after August 17.

In related news, my dissertation is due in 14 days. So far, I have managed to keep my panic mostly under control, but as my remaining time dwindles, I expect my sanity to begin showing increasing signs of fray. I will keep you updated as I continue to procrastinate while watching the Olympics.


*I spelled this word right on the first try (weird accent marks not included).

No comments:

Post a Comment