Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Pi Day!

Dear readers, yesterday was 3.14, or more popularly, Pi Day. To celebrate, I decided to make a blueberry pie. The following chronicles my epic journey to pie greatness.

To start, I had been craving blueberry pie for a couple weeks, ever since my dad made one for a family dinner we had at our house. I was excited about the pie, but because he opted to go for pre-made pie filling, the end result left something to be desired. We have great blueberries in Florida right now, so after I got off work yesterday, I popped down to my local Publix and picked up a couple pints and some pie crusts. Also I got some blueberries. Hyuck hyuck.

Back home, I assembled my ingredients, which were surprisingly few.


That, for the record, amounts to:
4 cups fresh blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 pie crusts
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A little bit of butter, to be used at the end

I mixed the dry ingredients together and then coated the blueberries with the mixture.



Next I poured all that into the bottom pie crust and dotted with butter. (I eye-balled that.)



Ok, here comes the tricky part. The recipe told me to make a lattice for the top crust, but on how I was to accomplish this feat, the recipe was frustratingly silent. Thanks to the trusty Internet, however, I found a way. I won't go into detail on how I did it. You can follow the link if you're interested, but here's a picture of the crust I sliced for it.



Lattice complete, I decided to brush the top with an egg wash - 1 egg, beaten, mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar - to help the top get pleasantly browned. That was my creative contribution to this product.




Then I baked it at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes. The recipe called for 50, but the egg wash browned that sucker pretty fast. The end result was a thing of beauty.


Immediately after it came out of the oven, this thing was bubbling like a pit of lava, so naturally, I videotaped it. Listen close to hear me whispering to the pie and telling my mom to be quiet so you can hear it bubble.



Finally, here are some progress shots from my consumption of this masterpiece.






I invited some friends over, and all agree, Pi Day was a rousing success. Jealous? How about after I tell you that I ate the second piece with ice cream? Yeah, I thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment