Friday, January 14, 2011

The Good Daughter

For you to truly understand the excitement surrounding this post, I must first provide a little background.

In the 2008-2009 school year, my university decided to hire a new English professor, and a few select English majors were asked to participate in this process. Each of the three candidates gave a sample class, where we the students acted as, well, the students, and the department faculty observed the candidates' teaching style. Since the candidates were being hired to teach creative writing, they each also did a reading of their own writing while on campus.

I attended all three sample classes. The class given by the final candidate clearly stood out, which motivated me to attend her reading later that afternoon, an honor I did not see fit to bestow on the other two candidates (because my time is just so very important). At that reading, I got my first taste of Jasmin Darznik's The Good Daughter. The small bit she read was absolutely captivating, and since that afternoon, I have waiting on pins and needles for the release of the whole book.

Jasmin ended up being hired by the department (of course), and I had the pleasure of taking her creative writing course (she is a great teacher) and hearing a bit more of the book from her lips. And now, finally, after two years of waiting, IT HAS ARRIVED. It sits on the table next to me as I type, and as soon as I publish this post and then link it Facebook, I will be cracking it open.

You too can have a copy of this tome. I urge you to check it out. If the parts I've heard are any indication (as I'm sure they are), this book is going to be phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment